Monday, December 13, 2010

The Promises of God

Hello Everyone,

Around the holidays I always wish that I were wealthy and could give my family and friends lavish gifts, you know Lexus commercial type gifts, the ones they would never expect to receive. With it being the holiday season we can think of the Promise of Salvation God made to us when he promised to send us a Messiah for full atonement for our sins as that kind of gift. The kind none of us are worthy of receiving but as a father God gave it to us anyway.



I know over the years I have received many gifts that I didn't expect and some I know I didn't deserve to get, but my parents got them for me just the same. The things I think of the most are how much enjoyment it brought my Dad when he took the time to wrap a shotgun in five separate packages just to see my face when I finally got all five pieces to the puzzle. I think God does the same thing. He gets enjoyment when he sees us finally accept his gift of salvation when we get the whole package open. When we realize we can't do it by ourselves.



I didn't fully grasp how important it is for a father to be needed until I had children of my own. When they do things on their own its tough to admit but we don't feel as needed as we did when they were dependant on us. Yes we can learn to be SELF-sufficient, we can be SELF-made but we lose the whole point of why we were made. If we were made to be by ourselves God would have made Adam and been done.



God made promises to Abraham that his descendants would be as numerous as the stars, as the grains of sand in the sea. He wouldn't have made that promise if he wanted us to be SELF-sufficient or SELF-made. He wouldn't have given us the ultimate gift in Jesus Christ for us to be by ourselves. He fulfilled his promise two thousand years ago in a manger in Bethlehem, our part is to accept Christ and love like Jesus loved.



Have a blessed week!

Billy



Genesis 17:6-9

6And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.

7And I will establish My covenant between Me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee and to thy seed after thee.

8And I will give unto thee and to thy seed after thee the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God."

9And God said unto Abraham, "Thou shalt keep My covenant, therefore, thou and thy seed after thee in their generations


Luke 2:25-32

25And behold, there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon, and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel; and the Holy Ghost was upon him.

26And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost that he should not see death before he had seen the Lord's Christ.

27And he came by the Spirit into the temple; and when the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for Him after the custom of the law,

28then he took Him up in his arms, and blessed God and said,

29"Lord, now lettest Thou Thy servant depart in peace, according to Thy word;

30for mine eyes have seen Thy salvation,

31which Thou hast prepared before the face of all people,

32a light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of Thy people Israel."

No comments:

Post a Comment