Monday, January 16, 2012

Giving until it feels good!

Giving until it feels good!
Last week we talked about what it means to give and the way that giving has been twisted into something far beyond what God meant for it to be. It seems today that some have used giving as a way of making one feel guilty for what they have or have been blessed with, almost as if Christ was never crucified or raised from the dead.
I have searched through the bible and have not found the scripture that says God did not want us to be prosperous or live in abundance. In fact I have found several scriptures that say just the opposite, that God wants us to prosper, he wants us to have an abundant life. I find if you want someone to know how to love, you must first show them love, God showed us His love through His Son. If you want someone to be a blessing you must show them what it means to be blessed, God gave us every spiritual blessing in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.


Isaiah 55:1,2
1 “Ho! Everyone who thirsts,
      Come to the waters;
      And you who have no money,
      Come, buy and eat.
      Yes, come, buy wine and milk
      Without money and without price.
       2 Why do you spend money for what is not bread,
      And your wages for what does not satisfy?
      Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good,
      And let your soul delight itself in abundance.

Jeremiah 31: 13-15
3 “ Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance,
      And the young men and the old, together;
      For I will turn their mourning to joy,
      Will comfort them,
      And make them rejoice rather than sorrow.
       14 I will satiate the soul of the priests with abundance,
      And My people shall be satisfied with My goodness, says the LORD.”

I think that when one gives it should be until he feels good not until it hurts. That is the reason I used a question mark at the end of last week's subject line. I have seen too many people use that phrase as if it were the right thing to do to give until it hurts but I feel if it hurts you then you are not giving freely or generously. I believe Paul has nailed it with his words in the following passage when he says let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. If I read this correct if I were to give until it hurts then more than likely I wouldn't be very cheerful.

2 Corinthians 9:7,8
7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.

Have a blessed week,
Billy

No comments:

Post a Comment