Monday, January 2, 2012

In the beginning!

Hello everyone,

We are starting a new year and with the new year I thought it would be good to go back to the beginning.

Genesis 1: 1,2
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

Like the earth in the beginning of our lives or anything we have done we are without form and void. I think about learning guitar when I think about without form and void. My poor parents listening to me in the beginning of my guitar playing would have definitely agreed.

Any time we start something we are like toddlers learning to walk it is difficult and awkward and we fall and make mistakes. In Genesis God started by creating the earth knowing he was making a paradise for us to live. I believe he also knew that even though we were in paradise it would be impossible for us to live freely without making mistakes. That is a good thing for us as with knowing we would make mistakes he also had a plan for redemption and a fresh start with no prior scores.

With the start of a new year I think of new beginnings and the born again spirit one can have by accepting Christ as his Savior. I always think of Paul when I think of fresh starts as Paul was the champion of fresh starts and new beginnings. He was the biggest persecutor of the Way and one event on the road to Damascus made him the biggest proponent for The Church.

As you contemplate your New Year's resolutions start them with the resolve Paul talked about in the following passage by renewing your mind first and accepting the blessing God has already given us.

Romans 12:1,2
 1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Have a blessed week,

Billy

No comments:

Post a Comment